We've got the answers!
Educate yourself with the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
NOTICE: The information contained on this page is general information and is not intended to take the place of your personal physician’s advice, or to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The FAQs contained herein are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions, and should not be used as such. Only a qualified physician can determine if you qualify for and should undertake treatment.
Testosterone is a hormone made by the body and is responsible for the normal growth and development of the male sex organs and for maintenance of other sexual characteristics. In men, testosterone is produced in the testes, the reproductive glands that also produce sperm. The amount of testosterone produced by the testes is regulated by the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland. Some effects of testosterone may include:
- Growth and maturation of prostate, and other male sex organs
- Development of male hair distribution such as facial hair
- Changes in body muscle mass and strength and fat distribution
- Sex drive and sexual function
- Mood and energy level
- Bone strength
In healthy men, testosterone levels between 350ng/dL and 1000ng/dL are considered normal. In healthy males, the brain and the testes work together to keep testosterone in this range. When levels of testosterone are below normal, the brain signals the testes to make more. When there is enough testosterone, the brain signals the testes to make less.
Body For Life is a place where men with low testosterone (testosterone below normal levels) are diagnosed and treated by qualified providers. We are conveniently located in Bartlett near Wolfchase Galleria at 8099 Stage Hills Blvd., Ste 101, Bartlett, TN.
To determine if you are a candidate for Testosterone Restoration Therapy, our medical professionals will analyze your symptoms and perform a simple blood test.
Benefits of TRT vary based upon the pre-therapy symptoms and other factors, but can include:
- Improved muscle mass and strength
- Increased bone mineral density
- Thicker body hair and skin
- Improved sexual desire
- Boosted energy
- Decreased irritability and depression
- Improved visuospatial cognitive function and verbal memory
- Higher motivation
- Decreased body fat
- Better mood
- Improved erectile function.
Some patients could experience one or more of the following side effects:
- Increase in red blood cells – This can be beneficial if you have anemia. However, it can be potentially dangerous since too much blood can block your blood vessels and lead to a heart attack or stroke.
- Prostate effects – If you have an enlarged prostate, referred to as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), testosterone may worsen your symptoms, particularly if you are more than 50 years of age. If you have a history of prostate cancer, you may not be able to receive testosterone therapy.
- Skin reactions – Acne, oily skin, increased body hair and flushing have been reported. These are most common with use of a patch; however, they lower with the use of a gel and are rare with injections.
Infertility – This is common particularly in young men, but usually reversible after stopping testosterone therapy. Talk to your physician before beginning treatment if you are trying to have children.
- Sleep apnea – This is a condition that disrupts breathing during sleep. Although uncommon, it is a reported side effect.
- Fluid retention – Although uncommon, you must use caution if you have a history of heart failure or kidney disease.
Testosterone Restoration Therapy (TRT) at Body For Life can be below $25 per injection. We also offer TRT via BioTE bioidentical hormone pellet insertion. Come in and discuss a treatment plan with our staff.
Your office visits for Testosterone Restoration Therapy (TRT) injections at Body For Life will ordinarily take less than 15 minutes.
The proper method of testosterone delivery for you is a matter for your physician to determine. However, many find that some gels and patches tend to be messy and less convenient than other treatment options. In addition, there can be a risk of unintentional transmittal to children or others with whom you may have physical contact with gels or patches. Experience has shown that gels and patches may require dosage adjustments to obtain medically appropriate blood concentrations and some patients may never absorb enough testosterone from gels and patches to improve symptoms. The medical professionals at Body For Life regularly employ “Intramuscular Testosterone Injections” because of their clinical effectiveness and convenience.
Only your physician can fully answer this question. However, generally Testosterone Restoration Therapy (TRT) is not recommended and/or is prohibited for patients with:
- A palpable prostate nodule
- Untreated obstructive sleep apnea
- Severe benign prostatic hyperplasia symptoms (AUA prostate symptom score > 19)
- Uncontrolled severe heart failure
- Unexplained PSA elevation
- Severe lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hypertrophy
- Unstable severe congestive heart failure (class III or IV)
Weight Loss FAQ
Professionalism, speed, and people that truly care about you. You will never feel rushed at Body For Life, and you will also find us to be among the fastest when it comes to getting you in and out the door. We know how valuable your time is. We dispense on site so you don’t have to make another trip to the pharmacy; just another way we can save you time and money.
At Body For Life you won’t need an appointment. We are open during the lunch hour for your convenience. We see everyone on a walk-in basis but we’re fast and very efficient because we understand your time is important.
Our Medical Professionals will assist you in your diet program, however, we do not have a proprietary diet plan to sell you. There are a multitude of diet plans available to you and we suggest that you find one that will work best for you. Our suggestion is to eat sensibly, limit your refined carbohydrates, drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest.
Yes, we also have Lipovite injections to help you with your weight loss. Lipovite is a lipotropic that has been shown to help many individuals in their quest to lose weight. Our Lipovite has all the B vitamins (including a high potency Methylcobalamin B12, not Cyanocobalamin B12 which is the synthetic version of B12). There are also several amino acids in our injection which distinguishes it from many other Lipo/MIC injections. Our special compounded Lipovite injection works well in breaking down stored fat in the body while also boosting your metabolism.